(Anaheim Gazette, December 10, 1870)
This flourishing village now embraces 24 well-constructed and comfortable houses, among which are a store and post office. Parties are talking of constructing a commodious hotel, as constant inquiry is being made for one by travelers and settlers. The indications are that the country around Santa Ana for many miles will all soon be occupied by beautiful garden homes, such as only can be brought into existence in this remarkable climate. During last week twelve families camped down on the Williams’ estate, and are even now nearly all permanently located thereabouts.
While the land around Santa Ana is the very best, the price has thus far been quite low; hence the influx of settlers. We are informed by A.L. Bush, Esq., that the McFadden ranches have been withdrawn from market at $16 per acre, as they were going like “hot cakes” at that value. It is to be regretted that the proprietors withdraw their land from sale because it sells well at a reasonable figure. The same course has hitherto been pursued around Anaheim, and always with a detrimental effect. Let the country be settled up and developed, no matter at how low a price per acre, for therein lies the secret of wealth to proprietors, and prosperity to the community.
* * *
(Anaheim Gazette, February 11, 1871)
The village of Santa Ana, now containing a population of about 150 souls, is owned, principally, by W.H. Spurgeon, A.L. Bush and D.H. Samis. It contains one general merchandise store, a post office (with daily mail), a fine school house, blacksmith and wagon shop, public hall, harness shop, a saloon and a large number of tastily constructed residences. The very newness of these buildings, and the continual projection and erection of others, is a circumstance calculated to convince an observing person that it has resources as a town, and good prospects as a location. Immediately outside the town plat is a two story brick house of very large dimensions, just completed, and which cost at least $10,000. It is the property of Mr. T. Casad, and probably is not excelled for capacity and magnificence by any building in this county, outside of the city of Los Angeles. A new hotel is about to be built, and as the telegraph line passes through town, a telegraph office will soon be opened.
The principal owners of Santa Ana are men of means and experience. They have laid out broad streets, erected fine buildings, are offering inducements to settlers; and their enterprise will be governed by no narrow policy. The lots are 50 x 125 feet, and fifty of them are already sold and occupied by permanent residents. This town is the offspring of 1870. It is already the center of trade for a large agricultural district, and for its future we can only predict the most certain and rapid success.