Trabuco Canyon Post Office
(October 7, 1938 – )
As early as 1933, residents of Trabuco Canyon were seeking a local post office. “There are about 40 cabins at Trabuco Oaks, in addition to a number of ranchers who live in the vicinity who desire that a post office be established. They now get their mail from the El Toro post office, a distance of 11 miles from their homes.” (Santa Ana Register, 1-3-1934) Officially established October 7, 1938, the Trabuco Canyon Post Office actually opened for business a month later, issuing “first day covers” on November 9th. Moved from store to store until 1984, the post office now has its own building and serves a much wider area than just Trabuco Canyon.
Ethel W. Glenn, 1938-1947
Grady and Ethel Glenn ran the store in Trabuco Oaks where the Trabuco Post Office was originally located. Ethel Glenn also served as local librarian in the 1930s and ‘40s.
Oscar L. Huffine, 1947-1948
Oscar Huffine built what is now the Trabuco Oaks store in 1947, became postmaster, and moved the office there. But things didn’t work out for some reason, and he resigned as postmaster after little more than a year.
Winifred H. Smith, 1949
Otto T. Ohngren, 1949-1952
Otto Ohngren took over both the store and the post office in 1949, but again stayed only a short time.
Esther A. Mills, 1952-1973
The Trabuco Oaks store continued to change hands, but once Esther Mills became postmaster she held the job for more than 20 years. Lifelong residents of Orange County, Walter and Esther Mills were married in Santa Ana in 1922 and lived on the Irvine Ranch before moving to the canyon.
(You can find more about Orange County’s post offices and postmasters here)